Sunday, 14 April 2013

Making preparations !!

What a wonderful break this Easter break has been , we have just kicked back and enjoyed being at home . I don't think you realise how tired you are until you actually stop !! We have had a really good rest , particularly the hormonally challenged 11( nearly 12) year old who has been delighted at staying in bed until 11 o'clock as often as possible !!

This time at home has given me the opportunity to catch up on some much needed homeyness especially after the last couple of months working towards getting the studio ready to move into . Now there are  tangible signs that spring is well and truly here and it has kick started my green fingers into action .Every year I set out with the aim of try to grow as much to eat as possible and with varying success .Until we are able to afford a house with land I try my best to work with what I have .  I am also living in the hope that due to extended cold period we have been experiencing  we will get heat when we really need it and at the right time for growing crops and flowers . It's been 3 summer's since I last had any bumper crops of anything !! Last year was appalling I gave up in the end and admitted defeat . But this last week especially , my youngest and I have sprung into action and started preparing some edible crops , herbs for a herb garden and seedlings for summer colour .
I love these special times spent with the children passing on my thoughts and knowledge ( all be it somewhat limited knowledge !!) and lets face it what 6 year old boy doesn't like digging in the dirt !!

In fact my kitchen and bedroom have turned into a makeshift green house as it's too cold yet to put anything out and my house is warm and snugly  . So for the next few weeks I will be filling up every available and suitable surface with seed trays and pots .




 Most of my produce is either grown in tubs in my bijou back yard or in my small front garden . I have to be quite inventive with how I grow things and approach it in a very urban gardening sort of way , I recycle as much as possible to grow things in and am always on the look out for inventive ideas .

It feels really satisfying to have made a start on this job .

One very unexpected event last week was purchasing a rather fab bookcase from a friend 20 minutes before she sold her house and handed the keys over . It was a wonderfully bizarre moment with myself and a friend and the window cleaner ( who got roped into the whole scenario )to carry this very large Victorian pine bookcase over two roads to my house . What a sight we three were !! but we got it in and after a mild panic attack , it fit ! There was much jigging about  as at one point it didn't look like it would fit .Phew !!! and I love it .

I decided yesterday after a bout of Spring cleaning in the kitchen that I wanted to have one shelf dedicated to cake and tea . In fact I think I'm going to call it my 'Afternoon Tea ' shelf . A homage to the English afternoon tea !




I've never been able to have my two tea sets out on show they've always lived in a cupboard which I have to strategically remove crockery from every time there is an occasion to use it . Not now , it is straight to hand along with my growing collection of cake stands  . In fact I think this has been a sort of therapy as I am having withdrawal symptoms from not being able to bake . Yes still no oven , sigh !! but at least the shop bought cakes will look pretty on my plates and they are adding some spring time colour to the kitchen , hey it's win win all the way with this idea .

Oh boy this last two weeks has been good for the soul , I feel ready and prepared for returning to my two jobs and the madness and fast pace of life that goes with everyone returning to work and school life .

I am also looking forward to spoiling my friends tomorrow evening and holding our Monday evening crochet group at mine and looking forward to getting back in the swing of making !!

So what ever your doing this week I hope you have a nice time and thanks for popping by .
Ta ta for now Tracy .x


25 comments:

  1. oh the bookcase looks lovely and I love your afternoon tea shelf!!!

    very impressed with all your seedlings. I don't have green fingers myself but my other half has the house filled with chitting potatoes and tomato plants at the moment and a greenhouse has appeared in the garden, so hopefully he will grow me lots of delicious things!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Nikki,
      OOOooo I have greenhouse envy , I so wish I had a garden to put one in .You may not have green figures but you work your magic with those very productive chickens of yours .That's another dream of mine , Chickens !!
      I hope you will be blessed with a very productive growing season , we just need the right weather this year in Yorkshire.
      Thanks for popping by
      With kind regards Tracy .x

      Delete
  2. I love the bookcase and kudos on the afternoon tea shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning the road to serendipity,
      I too love my bookcases and I think it will change with the seasons ,oh how I like to play and re arrange things . I think I get it from my mother as she has always had a thing about re arranging furniture , guess it's in the genes !!
      Thanks for popping by
      With kind regards Tracy .

      Delete
  3. You do have a great green thumb..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nelson
      I hope my green fingers work this year !!
      Thanks for popping by
      with kind regards Tracy .

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your lovely things. I like your afternoon tea shelf and you have been so industrious over Easter. I've got packets of seeds but its been too cold to look at them. Yorkshire is a wee bit south of me, so perhaps I can be a week behind and still catch up ;-)

    J xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J
      Oh you will soon catch up as the weather warms up .But there is still a great deal of pleasure in the planning .I hope you get to start using your seeds soon !
      Thanks for popping by .
      With kind regards Tracy .x

      Delete
  5. I do hope that your weather warms up for you seedling and they give you a bumper harvest.
    Love your bookcase and tea shelf. I can just see you all walking up the street carring a book case, but somethings you just have, to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning ,
      It was quite a sight the three of us walking up the middle of the road with this huge bookcase , not something you see every day and thank goodness we live in a quite area of town .I'm already obsessively checking seed tray and pots for signs of life !!
      Thanks for popping by and enjoy the week ahead .
      with kind regards Tracy .

      Delete
  6. Just found your blog. Lovely!

    I love the idea of a shelf dedicated to afternoon tea. I collect cakes stands but they are quite difficult to display, especially with three boisterous boys running about the house.

    Your seedlings look great. Have you heard about the square metre system? It's all about maximum production with minimum space. I'm trying it this year with my small veggie space.

    Good luck with your crop this summer!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bookcase looks stunning! I am curious, what kind of plants are you planning on putting in the garden but are inside now? I really need to think of the greenery too, make plans for plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Barbara,
      Some of the plants that are inside know are Petunias , Geraniums, Fuchsias that were plugs so I've potted them on and they will be potted on again and kept inside until they are well established.If it's too cold they just won't grow and I would like big bushy plants .I am really going for Pinks this year in various shades ,this is a colour scheme for the back yard this year. I also have some broad beans that wont be going outside until it's warmed up and they are much bigger .Once my courgette and peas and beans spring into life they will be potted on again and not go out until well established in growth. I am really just using my house the way you would use a greenhouse ( oooo the luxury of a green house !).
      Hope your plans start forming for your planting .
      With kind regards Tracy .

      Delete
  8. Hi, thank you for showing your spring preparations. Since three days we are in the garden, there is so much to do, but we do it with love and are waiting of food and flowers.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sigrun ,
    Hopefully you will be blessed with lots of good quality edibles and masses of blooms and this will be the reward for all the hard work that is being done now .Happy gardening and lets hope we all get the weather we need to be productive !!
    Have a lovely week ahead .
    with kind regards Tracy .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cake and tea looks like a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm glad someone else's windows ills have disappeared too, my daughter has taken over mine with her little labelled pots. She always starts the year with good intentions, but guess who ends up doing the watering when they are planted out! Rowen@Coastal Colours x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There, That bookcase is to die for!!!!!!!! Is it oregan pine? Love it!!! Glad you're well rested before returning to work!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, with you on the need for beautiful china to be within easy reach. We have had ours stowed away since our wall knock through phase last year January and we finally had our new sideboard delivered last friday, so its been a long wait to have the china out and it feels good (you can see more about this on my blog new sideboard post if youre like me looking at other peoples china, but hopefully you're not that sad?!). Offcourse there is always the dilemma of needing to bake, or buy cakes as in your case. Sorry to hear the oven is still kaputt. The crochet evening sounds like pure bliss, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see what you're growing. You scored a nice bookcase. Your tea cups are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a busy time! Good luck with all the "growing things". Love your new bookcase and how you've decked it out - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely new life preparing to spring forth for you in response to you and your family's hard work and dedication. You deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labours Tracy.
    That bookcase was made for your lovely goodies - you were in the right place at the right time eh!
    Another lovely post, thank you for sharing it. Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking good Tracy I so wish I had the green fingers - on a positive note I have managed to grow some button mushrooms and they were fab. I have plenty of seeds just no idea what to do and waiting for the time to get out in our garden and build some bed type things. Its a case of watch this space! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would it be ok if I attended your knit and natter group on Fridays? Liz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Liz,
    Of course it is ok , the group is open to the public and is free , the more the merrier!!!
    I'm presuming from your message you know where we are ?? If not go to my facebook page 'handmade Over Yonder' and I will send you a link and details.
    Hope fully see you next Friday Tracy .

    ReplyDelete