Sunday, 2 June 2013

Lifes a beach !!

Well today I'm back to the usual catching up on house work and trying to sew and interact with the boys ( I won't say entertain the boys as they pretty much please themselves ). But I am in no way complaining as we had the most fabulous day yesterday as we enjoyed the delights of the East coast . We had saved up last month so we could afford at least on big day out to the coast during the school break . I've been working hard all week sewing making and preparations for the first studio event ( it's all been a bit hush hush but I will let you into a secret it's the  29th June , official details to follow ) . So we decided this Saturday was going to be our big day out , we packed a picnic and set off early , but we started to worry as we saw the weather changing the  nearer we got to our first port of call , Staithes . It was overcast , cold and damp and very misty !! Oh bother never listen to the weather men .


But we were going to enjoy ourselves what ever the weather , the boys were set on a bit of beach combing and there was a lot of drift wood about . With raincoats , hats and hiking boots on we hit the beach , only in England would you say and do that !!!
We explored the beautifully quaint streets and bay which was made up of  very higgledy piggledy narrow streets and paths but even on such a dull morning the unmistakable coastal colours were everywhere . 


I could sooooo easily live in this house , I went all day dreamy when I saw this house imagining myself living in this tiny fishing bay .




Having had a good morning exploring Staithes we had our picnic ( in the cars as the kids were cold ). Mr P got the map out and we decided if the weather wasn't going to improve we would go somewhere else for us to explore . We set off on our journey again , this time to Runswick Bay which is a few miles down the coast and part of ' The Heritage Coast ' .
What a stunning place and me and Mr P. fell in love with the thatched Fisherman's Cottage which was right at the sea wall . But the cloud started to break and the sky brightened up , so much so the youngest took of his shoes and sock and wanted to fully experience  being on the sand ( I thought he was slightly mad at this point but I wasn't going to stop his enjoyment of the beach ).
We were all in beach combing mode at his point , we knew it would be a good beach for Fossil hunting as it is part of the coast that is brilliant for fossils. Mr P. found this for me , wow ! blue and white pottery my favourite !

This was Mr P's favourite find , our youngest decided it was a Dragons egg . 

We could not believe how the day turned out , it was so warm and the blue of the sea and sky combined was so intense . We all had such fun at the beach and the boys were seriously impressed with their hunting skills just look at their haul.

1,Fossils.

2, A chunk of Fossilised sea bed .

3, Another chunk of Fossilised sea bed.

4, Beautiful sea glass .

5, Blue and white .
We were able to stay on the beach until late afternoon and we were so relaxed , oh how the day had turned out from disheartening dull sky's to uplifting bright blue sea and sky topped of with the relaxing  warmth of the sun . On a whim we decided to go to Whitby for extremely scrummy Fish and chips . You can't beat sitting on the sea front eating freshly made fish and chips ( especially when the fish is so fresh and local ). What a great end to a grand day out , it was just what our family needed.


Today whilst pootling about I've added our beach haul to our ever expanding collection of little gems collected at the beach , which lives on our upstairs landing windowsill . Here's a peek at what makes us tick .






We are definately going to go back to Staithes and Runswick Bay later in the summer , they are beautiful spots that are quite and unspoilt by tourism . But shhh don't tell everyone about these two little gems on the East coast we don't want everyone going ! ; )

I hope you've had a lovely weekend where ever you are and made the most of things no matter what the weather !!

Thanks for popping by and Ta ta for now . Tracy x

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful places, soooo good for the soul, and that blue house!!. I'm really glad the weather brightened for you tho' you were obviously determined to have fun anyway, lol. As you say, where else but Blighty would we do that! When we first moved back to the North East coast from the city we were on the beach every day even though it was December!!
    I love your display of goodies, especially the tiny shells nestling in their little hidey holes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day out to end the school holidays. Such blue skies - at the end of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to visit and what great finds!!! Just Beautiful!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing collection. Those places certainly look like great spots to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous setting and I'm fawning over your beautiful fossil rock finds! So when does summer arrive in England?

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a fabulous day out - and such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a day to treasure. I remember day's like that what seems like a long time ago with our 3 when they were younger.
    The fossils are brilliant but anything to do with the sea is just for me. I do live in Brighton right beside the sea, but I don't think we have fossils.
    Thankyou for the lovely photos.
    Enjoy every moment with your family, it is precious.
    Briony
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous.. such wonderful finds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great day out. And great finds. That's what life is all about with the family.
    Rosezeeta

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful photos! I wish I was there this sunny day. Thanks for sharing. The treasures, you've found look impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fantastic beach treasures - and what a huge collection you already have. I'm happy that the day brightened up and allowed you to spend more time doing what you and family love to do; my brother-in-law (who lives in the North-East) often says "You can't wait for the weather"!
    I have really enjoyed this visit with you, thank you so much! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved this post, makes me want to come and visit your part of the world. I've lived beside the seaside in Australia for 23 years and I'm an avid beach scavenger and I have huge collection of old china pieces found down at the river mouth. Here are some posts where I have written about my old china finds. http://plainjanecreations.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Old%20china
    I'm also really enjoying watching the progress at your little shared studio.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful day out...I love that little house with the pink door and that little window up on the right...sea glass is beautiful...thank you for the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Has your youngest read the dragon books by Christopher Paolini? He started writing them as a homeschool project and it has turned into a best selling set. It started out as a trilogy, but ended up going to four books. Really cool books, and one of the items of interest about them are dragon's eggs!! I loved them and I am a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fab day out, especially as the weather turned good!! I love your 'beach finds', I have a lot of them too, as I live by the sea (North Norfolk east coast!!)and it's great to go beach combing! :) We had very similar weather that day too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day it turned out to be. Well done on persevering! My Nan and Grandpa used to live at Flamborough Head and would often say they knew when I was coming because it would pour down! I never believed them, I just presumed it rained all the time! It really is a beautiful part of the country and Whitby is gorgeous (even on a grey day!). Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know where that is, years ago we spend our holidays there. Wonderful photographs, thank you. Such a mass of stones and fossils!

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  18. What awesome finds you discovered on your holiday! Glad you got to go away for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tracy
    What a fabulous day out!! Love your collections, especially the pieces of blue and white china and the sea glass, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello just discovered your blog via Claire at Thriftwood! I love Runswick bay, such a beautiful place and like you I love beachcombing, picking up fossils, driftwood and seaglass. We were going to go to the East coast yesterday but the weather forecast said there would be cool onshore breezes with max temp of only 12. We decided against it and went to Lytham st Annes instead.It was a lovely warm sunny day but its not a patch on Runswick or Staithes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful photos. I'd love to see that part of the coast and wanted to walk the Coast to Coast but don't think I could nowadays, with sciatica problems. I'd really LOVE a stone with a hole in it. I think there is a special name for them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just visit here for the first time, arrived via Attic 24, to find myself looking at a cottage I look at everyday from my back door...! I do find it really strange looking at Staithes though someone else's pictures...:) Thanks for sharing your visit... would love to come to your open studio event but am afraid it's a busy weekend for us.

    Just in case anyone is interested we run courses on the foreshore here in Staithes where we show you the best places to find fossils & jet too... realstaithes.com (hope you don't mind me sharing this here..)

    ReplyDelete