Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Catching up , planning and preparing !!

Well I've spent  the last couple of weeks doing lots of things but essentially my time has been focusing on working and spending time catching up with long long overdue orders and planning for future workshops as well as events . I have thrown myself into preparing for these after the enforced slow down  of the summer holidays  . Although I am very busy and very excited by  things that have been discussed and are starting to be planned in' The Studio' by Lucy and I , I am a little cranky with stress !! My husband told me to go boil my head at the weekend ,  I was so out of sorts .  Oh you have to laugh ,  a person could get really offended by such a remark , it's just as well we've been together soooooo long and I have very thick skin .   I think Mr p . deserves a medal for putting up with me .

But I am staying focused and playing catch up  . Here is a peek of a long overdue order for an old colleague who loves my Chicken cushions , she has two now . She has patiently waited and if your reading this Maureen , THANK YOU X.

I am never Happier in my work than when I am making little stitches , I love the textural and tactile quality they give the surface of the piece !!


 As I started to prepare the first lot of workshops for 'The Studio'  I realised we needed an identity for our creative work space . Something we could use on flyer's and posters and it had to reflect both mine and Lucy's identities as well as saying something about the creative space that is 'The Studio' . So after roughly putting something together and using the lettering which was a moving into 'The Studio '  present which was  made by a Graphic designer friend of ours .   Lucy and I got our heads together , Lucy posted on Attic 24 Facebook page to get some feed back and what a useful and informative thing to do . We read and digested   peoples advice and  ideas and we set about the task again , as well as moving location a few time  , we just couldn't get the light right .



This is in my back yard , we had sheets over fences and tall ladders to climb up for photographing . In the end Lucy came up with idea of photographing in her bay this is where she does allot of photography as the light is very good in the morning . We were both pleased with the resulting image and we  adore the background colour . Blue is becoming a signature colour in the studio .

Now I could set too on promotional material  for our first dates in the Studio .
   


  
Rag Rug Wreath and Rag Rug Brooch .

                             


RAG RUG WREATH DAY WORKSHOPS
SATURDAY 19TH OCTOBER
SATURDAY 9TH NOVEMBER
RAG RUG BROOCH DAY WORKSHOP
SATURDAY 30th NOVEMBER
TIME : 10AM - 4 PM
COST : £45.00
TUTOR : RACHEL TERRY  
We are very excited about these workshops and Rachel is a very talented Textile Artist and Tutor , her business is called Bewitched by stitch if you would like to check her out . All the workshops are full day courses and include all material as well as tea/coffee on arrival and light lunch and tea / coffee . The Brooch workshop has been designed to teach both rag rugging techniques in two adorable projects .
If you would like further information please get in touch via my Face book page Handmade Over Yonder or call into Coopers Cafe-bar ( 6-8 Belmont st , Skipton , North Yorkshire ) and come up to 'The Studio ' where we can discuss the workshop with you and show you samples of what you will be making .  

But whilst being busy with work I've tried not to neglect my boys and there needs , now the session is starting to change and different vegetables are coming into season one request I got the other week was for Pumpkin pie . I love this time of year as we move away from fresh zingy tastes to rich aromatic spicy flavours.


 You must try these Baked pitta bread crisps , I've been making them for the boys and for my Crochet buddies for our Monday night Hooky sessions , we have a bit of an addiction to Houmous and they are a fab alongside a great big bowl of Houmous .They are so quick , cheap and tasty and keep really well .

 
 Oh and it's Parkin time , This sticky spicy cake goes hand in hand with Autumn , and it's a good make ahead cake at least a  couple of days in advance , as it gets nice and sticky after being kept wrapped up for a couple of days .
  Yorkshire parkin

1 egg
3 tbsp milk
175g/6oz golden syrup
100g/4oz black treacle
85g/3oz light muscovado sugar
225g/8oz butter, plus extra for greasing
100g/4ozmadium oatmeal
250g/9oz plain flour
2 rounded tsp ground ginger
2 tsp bicabonate of soda

: Heat oven 160c/fan 140c/gas 3.
:Butter a deep 23cm/9in square cake tin and line .
:Beat the egg and stir in milk , then set aside .
:Put syrup, treacle, sugar & butter in large pan , heat gently until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted .Remove from heat .
: Mix together the oatmeal, flour ginger & bicarbonate of soda in a bowl , then stir into the syrup mixture , followed by the egg and milk . Combine well .
:Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 50 mins- 1 hour until the cake feels firm and a little crusty on top . Leave to cool in the tin .
: Then turn out and peel off the lining paper then wrap in fresh paper and foil  and leave it for at least 3 days to allow it to become softer ans stickier . ( Note I keep mine in original baking paper and don't put new paper on , I just wrap as is  ).


Other preparations I am in full swing of are for the next OPEN STUDIO EVENT  and I'm doing a full weekend this time . As I have previously posted it is to co inside with the Yarndale weekend and while Lucy will be up at the Auction Mart ( the Yarndale venue ) meeting all the lovely yarntastic people I will be here for anyone who wants to pop in . ' The Studio  ' will be full of lovely makes , there will be Yorkshire Mill Mice & Linen Hare and Some Mr Fox's ( but I do need to knit their scarfs ! ) . I have also asked two other crafters to show their work at this weekend ( photos and details to follow ) .

Coopers cafe-bar will be open from 9am on the Saturday morning as always  doing delicious breakfast , you may want to call if your one of  those people  in Skipton before Yarndale opens it's doors at 10am , Lucy has told me today that the Yarndale bus will be doing it's first pick up at the train station to get people up for open doors we think it will leave about 9.45am and best of all coopers cafe-bar is on the same road as the train station ( pick up point ) and literally a 2 minute walk away  . I will be opening 'The Studio '  doors at 9 am on the Saturday( 28th) for anyone who wants to pop in before Yarndale , I will be closing at 3pm as it's my youngest 7th birthday and we are having a tea party for him which as you can understand I don't want to miss .  On the Sunday  ( 29th ) I will be opening the door at 12pm and closing at 4 pm . I've had lots of messages from people saying they are popping in to 'The Studio ' I'm am really looking forward to meeting you and some of you are travelling so far . Also just on the off chance any of you will be in Skipton on the Friday morning before Yarndale we hold a Crochet / knitting group @ Coopers  9.15am - 11ish the group  is free and very friendly the knitters are doing a hat knit along  , this is so I  can teach people of different skill levels all together and I think it will be  fun to see how different the hats turn out !

anyway lots to make , so ta ta for now and thanks for popping by . I will be back soon with updates on the open weekend and I keep getting request for my Cinnamon crumble cake which I will post next time please bare with me . Tracy x

23 comments:

  1. Oh wow, lots goin' on there. Your home baking is yummily delightful. I was salivatin'. I love The Studio sign. I love how you featured yours and Lucy's wonderful designs. And your husband's crack was hilarious. Yes, our significant others can sure handle us. Better be able to, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your poster photo, it's absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the poster too! Jacqui (aka.livingwithethel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poster - makes a great banner too!

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colours look so much more refined. Busy, busy, busy... Good Luck with your ventures. I teach 3 crochet classes a week and they are my best bits of my work life. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracy,Love your cushions!!!Yarndale sounds a "Ball"!!!!Would so love to be there!!!Love your bunny makes!!!They are just so gorgeous!!!!Have a great week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tracy, thanks so much for updating your blog, it is always a pleasure to read your news. I like how you mix crafts with recipes and your daily activities and beautiful pictures. It always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tracy, we are coming Friday from Surrey with the intention of Yarndale on Sat and explore Skip Sunday but heading back after lunch Sunday - we are staying near the train station - is the Studio open Friday pm? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole , great to hear your travelling up for Yarndale . I am opening at 9 am on Saturday for those who are already up for the weekend , are you staying at Herriots if so our door is less than a 5 minute stroll away .We are on the same road as train station , I will be at the studio until 3pm on Friday.Sorry i'm not open late but I will desperately be making my sons birthday cake for the next day .Hope you manage to squeeze a visit into the studio on your visit it would be lovely to meet you .
      with Kind Regards Tracy

      Delete
  9. Your last picture had me imagining The Studio at night, with all the mice playing! They are so sweet.

    Laura from beautiful West Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi laura , right now i'm wishing there were little imps that came in the studio at night to help me with my sewing !!
      With kind regards Tracy

      Delete
  10. Great post as always Tracy ... I am going to try the pitta breads and houmous for lunch tomorrow ... your scones look gorgeous too. I am travelling up from the Isle of Wight on Thursday and will be doing walkabout Thursday evening to get my bearings and see what is where. Hubby is coming with me and I am thinking how I can occupy him on Friday morning between 9.15 and 11 so I can join in knitting hats! I am so looking forward to Yarndale and hope I get the chance to say hi to you :-) You have a busy week ahead and I hope all goes well for you ... hope to see you next week :-) xx Love Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi joy , Fabulous news I will have a pattern ready for you ! X
      With regards to entertainment for the Hubby , they do serve great coffee and food at coopers but as you will see there are lots of great shop in Skipton , or he could take one of the short canal boat trips or visit Skipton castle . If your in a car Bolton Abbey isn't too far away for a picturesque walk . I look forward to meeting you have a safe journey up here.
      With kind regards Tracy

      Delete
  11. Would love to come on Nov 9 th. Msg you on FB. Please, please, please

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi calico girl are you Clair ??
    With regards Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo how fabulous to find you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved reading your update and seeing all the lovely photos. Thank you so much for the Parkin recipe. My grandma and my mum used to make Parkin and I haven't thought of it in years and years. Here in Australia it is not something you ever see. But I have copied the recipe and I am going to make some today. Thanks very much for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. coincide not co inside ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Came by from Attic24 to look - and oh, what a joy! Your chicken cushion is wonderful.... What is the lovely blue you have as the background of the 3rd 'The Studio' photograph? Just what I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tracy I am very happy you have found my blog. The plan is to write it in English as well. I was also glad to meet you last time. I loved your knitted shoulder warmer, this green shade really suits you. I would like to congratulate to the ladies for the fantastic organisation of Yarndale. It was a very good event, and I enjoyed it. It was great to see most of the women appeared in their own creation. Your comment made me realise that in the past I have only made crochetted clothes for myself, even tough one of my passions is patchwork. I should dust my sewing machine I hope you were able to have a rest and you are ready to pick up the daily routine again. All the best for the future works ahead.
    Szilvia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tracy. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. We really enjoyed the whole Yarndale experience and I have to say that your studio was a precious moment of calm in the hustle and bustle of the day. It was generous of you to open it up to the public and it must've felt weird to have strangers in and out all day long. You've both created a beautiful, light and inspiring space up there.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tracy,
    I'm sorry this is abit late but just wanted to thank you for the warm welcome and great time we had at the knit and natter before Yarndale. It was lovely to meet you all and you made my daughter and myself feel so welcome. Felt like I was catching up with an old friend! Just loved seeing your beautiful studio and was just pinching myself that I was standing in the middle of it! All just full of lots of beautiful, lovely things! Keep up the good work and just love all your creations. I wish you every success in your new venture with Lucy and was simple great being there and meeting you. Thanks, it made our time in Skipton very special and was a nice bonus.
    Lov Jules xx

    ReplyDelete